What did you do today?

Moderator: Gavin McArdle

spegru
Mem No.: 0

Re: What did you do today?

Postby spegru » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:59 am

Hello Ian I noticed you have electric window motors on your list.
Assuming they are original Ive noticed how heavy they are, using as they do what appears to be the same motor as the 'traditional' lucas windscreen wiper motor. Modern motors are so much lighter and possibly more powerful, I suppose due to the material now used for the magnets.
So Ive just invested 23ish in a pair of rear (because they will be less worn) motors from a Discovery 2. A very similar style with the external cogged arm. The weight is about half of the original which should help door operation. Although I'm not close to fitting it yet I reckon it should be possible to cut off the operating arm and reweld to the newer motor. The mounting bars are pretty simple things so it should be possible to do this upgrade very easily.

R_D_Olivaw
Mem No.: 2672

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:18 pm

At one of my early Gilbern gatherings I remember one of the members saying how they'd been restoring their Gilbern for the past twenty years, which got me thinking what on earth had they been doing. In reality it was probably just a case of them not wanting to sell it, so they just left it on their to do list. Today I realised I've had mine for around five years and in that time I've driven it less than 300 miles! It really does seem like I need to finish it before I hit the twenty year mark.

If the weather had been a little kinder I'd like to think progress would have been better, but it wasn't anything I could control and the car kept throwing curve balls at me. Despite all that I'm now in a happy place, and whilst it's not close to driveable, I am starting to put it back together. I still have to repaint the boot for the fifth time, but that's not something I'm too concerned about at the moment, though I should probably try to do it asap while the temperatures are in the high teens.

This weekend was one of those weekends where everything appeared to go well, possibly because my daughter gave me a hand and she can reach places my hands just can't get to easily. I sanded down and polished my paint work; put the doors back on; fitted the rear quarter windows; trial fitted the rear bumper, the first time it's been on the car in about three years; removed the front seats to give me access to work on the interior.

Here are a few pictures.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd0a4uh1mrx64lb/IMG_7225.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9v5k0wxc2s8mz5/IMG_7226.JPG?dl=0

The car even has it's front Gilbern badge partially installed!
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:21 pm

I made some more progress at the weekend, which gives me hope I'll get this done one day.

With the help of an angle grinder I carefully dismantled the rear bumper so I could treat the rusty brackets and give them a good coat of Hammerite. All the bolts had rusted solid, so needed the angle grinder to persuade them to come undone. I've ordered some new chrome bumper bolts, so all being well I'll be able to re-assemble it and fit it to the car next weekend.

I also fitted the weather stripping to the drivers door. I decided to glue it in place as this should be more water tight and possibly make it easier to remove at a later date. Cutting it to fit was a little fiddly, but it appears to have gone well. I'll know better once the glass is re-installed.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:45 am

Yesterday was a good day as it saw me re-assemble my rear bumper and with the help of my daughter fit it to the car. Having slim fingers can be a major advantage when it comes to putting on some bolts.

I also re-fitted the driver's side window, and that's where things didn't go so well. Getting the window to go up and down, using my own brute force was not easy and I suspect the electric motor just wouldn't cope, but I could be wrong. It's been about four years since I removed it, so I don't remember what it was like. What I do know is that I replaced the felt runners in the channels in the window frame and have added a weather strip that "will" keep the rain out. These things are adding more friction, possibly a lot more friction, and if these are the problem fixing it maybe a bit of a pain. Converting the car to a manual window might actually be a simpler solution.

I've tried silicon spray in the channels, but I didn't think to add it to the weather strip. When I get a moment I'll have a go at that to see if it makes a difference.

I also added the rear Gilbern, badge, so just the two small ones on the front wings to complete the set.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 am

There is obviously more to re-fitting the windows than meets the eye. It's possible that because I removed the window frames everything is out of alignment, because so far I've only been able to get the windows to go down. I'll have to do some more playing around to figure this all out. Adding silicon grease to ease things seems to have helped a little, but has not overcome the problem. At the moment the window moves up a little and then stops. I can see the motor moving which makes me think the arm is trying to change direction as it moves up.
Last edited by R_D_Olivaw on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:29 am

It would appear that re-fitting the windows and getting them to work is really all about knowing what you are doing, as through a process of trial and error mine are all working beautifully now.
Here's what I learnt.
1. The window glass used is the same in both doors, i.e. when fitted the Triplex symbol reads correctly from the outside of one door, but backwards from the other.
2. There is a right way to put the glass in, i.e. if you put the left hand pane in the right hand door you'll end up with a gap in the top right of the frame, when looked at from the inside of the car.
3. Adding the silicon grease helped, but everything got very greasy as I removed the windows multiple times.
4. If testing the windows by connecting them directly to a 12v battery, make sure the battery is fully charged.
5. Open up the motors (only two bolts) to give the contacts inside a bit of a clean. It's very simple, but use 2000 grit sandpaper to remove any oxidation off the motor, where the connector rubs against it. Mine were black and probably hadn't been touched for 50 years.
6. For me the "Aha" moment was all about setting the arm of the motor in the correct place before connecting it to the window frame.
- Insert window and push it up so it's in a closed position.
- Connect the motor outside of the door to a battery and move it into the up position. You'll know how far to do it because there will be a mark/scratch/greasy stain, showing you what the topmost position used to be.
- Put the motor back in the door and connect the arm to the window.
- Now bolt the motor back to its supports.
- Doing this ensures the glass will go all the way up or down without anything going wrong.
Last edited by R_D_Olivaw on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:17 pm

I did a little bit more this weekend.

1. I've cut and prepared the weather strip for the passenger door, it just needs gluing in place.
2. I've cut out the wood backing for my new rear seat back. When the roll bar was fitted it prevented me from putting the original back in place, so I need to make a new rear seat. I'll keep the original just in case anyone ever wants to put it back.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Another weekend and a bit more progress.

I carried on from where I left off last weekend with the rear seat. The wood has been cut to shape and I've attached some foam to it; however I may add some more foam to make it a little more comfortable. The biggest challenge however, has been to make the seat covering, which comes in three pieces. A left, middle and right. This afternoon I worked on creating the right hand piece and I'm pleased with the results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gw5evlznv1131b/IMG_7409.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o00jg7f3x8btmwv/IMG_7410.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1pmqg2waprxist/IMG_7411.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uicxwkzw2hzahxz/IMG_7412.JPG?dl=0

I will remove the chalk lines and straighten up the edges when I put all three pieces together.

If I'm in the mood I may do some more during the week. I created stencils so no measuring to do, but all these things take a lot longer than I think they will.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:54 pm

I have now finished my new rear seat and fitted it. It's a little thicker than the original seat as I wanted to make it as comfortable as possible, so it's onwards and upwards with the interior.

I was a bit frustrated when I couldn't find the covering for the transmission tunnel between the two back seats, until I realised that what I was looking for wasn't how I remembered it. It turns out that that will be something I need to remake, so it matches my new seats. I'll also be re-covering the bolsters on the side of the rear seat, partly because I want it all to match and partly because they were modified to include what I'll loosely call a roll-bar.

That should keep me out of trouble for a while :D
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:55 am

I'm not sure how the vinyl covered bolsters that go over the wheel arches ever fitted well, as they just don't seem to be very snug now, so I've decided not to refit them, and instead I'll go with foam padding and cover that in vinyl. I'll get the sewing machine out over the next couple of weeks to see if I can tailor something suitable.

I've re-vinyled the rear-quarter panels and they've come out better than expected. I've also added a lot of insulation around the rear seats, so now I just get a dull thud when I hit the panels. This should cut down a lot of noise and keep the cabin a lot quieter.
All the best,

Ian

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 am

I have developed a new found appreciation for upholsterers. Getting something looking good is not easy, and it's often a lot more fiddly than it appears. I have managed to re-upholster my door handles, which I needed to do because I'm making new door cards and I wanted them to match.

The vinyl covers I've created for the rear wheel arches are proving a lot more tricky to get right than I had first envisaged, but I'm going to trying tweaking them a bit more before going back to the drawing board.

I managed to get some rubber strips to protect the edges of the spot light apertures and I'm very pleased with how they turned out. It should protect the edges from stone chips and will set off the lights nicely.
All the best,

Ian

Tony Hayward
Mem No.: 308

Postby Tony Hayward » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:51 pm

Glad to see you are getting stuck in, Ian
I cheated and had the rear armrests covered in leather when I had the back seat done. The upholsterer even used his staple gun, which worked. They stiil fit well.
Just the rear quarter panels to do, in leather, also the bit over the transmission tunnel.

Recently decided to fit the improved upper front wishbones I had made 2 years ago!! They are adjustable for camber, and importantly castor-which can be adjusted in-situ. Done one, just waiting for the garage to warm up a bit to do the other. Then a trip to have the 4 wheel laser alignment checked and set it all up.
If you need to remove upper wishbones, there is a way without dropping the subframe.

Regards
Tony

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm

I am having a bad evening. This is the third attempt at adding a post, and I'm beginning to think my new keyboard has something against me. On the plus side I'm getting more concise.

I spent the week working on the interior and here's a quick summary.
1. Dynamat sound insulation has been added to the entire cabin, and a softer later of insulation added on top of that.
2. The covers for the rear wheel arches were re-made, using a simpler design.
3. The bolster between the two rear seats has been raised and made softer.
4. I created templates for the carpets, cut out 90% of the carpeting I need and added bindings to most of the edges to stop them from fraying.

Here are a couple of images of the test fitting. They're a bit wonky as they are not secured in place. It's also given me the opportunity to see anything that doesn't quite look right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mw9i6vnczvli1gs/IMG_7623.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzlxxur11rtlsxb/IMG_7624.JPG?dl=0

Still lots of work to do, but moving in the right direction. Once the carpeting is in, I'll look to install all the seatbelts, speakers, seats and door cards.
All the best,

Ian

6sabre
Mem No.: 2464

Postby 6sabre » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:23 pm

Looking good.

R_D_Olivaw

What did you do today?

Postby R_D_Olivaw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:07 pm

Thank you Sir.

Another dry weekend and more progress made. Still more work to do as I haven't secured all the carpets in place, but it's starting to look more like a car inside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42613ovh9dz13wz/IMG_7652.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r4kendx934bkaw/IMG_7656.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5phbs847dyrthef/IMG_7658.JPG?dl=0

The tray that sits in front of the console needs to be re-upholstered, and installed along with the seats. If I have time at the weekend I'll finish off the carpets (not really much to do), and work on installing the seat belts and the roll-bar. I have a new pair of inertia ones and want to try adding them to the rear, but I need to see how they can be secured. I might also have a go at the tray, but I know from the past attempt that everything has to be perfectly flat as imperfections can show through the vinyl.
All the best,

Ian

Return to “Gilblog Forum”